Periodontal TherapyAn Overview
Gum disease is a leading cause of tooth loss in adult patients.
Gum disease is a progressive bacterial infection of the gums. A common dental concern, most patients will develop some stage of periodontal disease during their life. Oral hygiene and routine dental health exams help to keep gums healthy and prevent the spread of the disease.
Gum disease increases the risk of:
- Heart disease
- Cardiovascular disease
- Alzheimers disease
- Tooth loss
- Bone recession
- Facial regression
- Receding gum line
In the earliest stages of gum disease, known as gingivitis, bacteria can be brought back into balance with a good thorough deep dental cleaning. Left untreated gum disease can develop into periodontitis and may spread to the bloodstream leading to severe and complex oral and systemic health concerns.
Signs & Symptoms of Gum Disease
If you notice that your gums bleed while you are brushing or flossing, you may have gum disease.
If you ever notice any changes in your oral health be sure to let Dr. Sareen know. Small shifts in oral health may be an indication of a more advanced dental health concern.
Symptoms of gum disease include:
- Bleeding gums
- Red, swollen gums
- Increased sensitivity
- Persistent bad breath, halitosis
- Changes in the bite
- Loose or shifting teeth
- Changes in the fit of dentures
East Market Dental is tops in about every way. Professional care, that is caring, Dr. Sareen explains everything so well and takes the time to make sure I understand. The office staff also very pleasant and helpful, Jay stays on top of everything with the schedule and insurance--makes a big…Serferten
The professionalism, ambiance, and efficiency provided by the warm and friendly staff make visits to the dentist a treat! Excellent establishment.Brianna C.
Literally still here. EASILY the BEST care we have ever received. Staff is kind, caring, and accommodating, not to mention FAST. We will be returning for all our dental needs. (Affordable also!)Katelin C.
So glad I found Dr. Sareen. East Market Dental has a friendly staff and the most updated equipment. I have a really bad gagging issue and they even have a gel for my issue. I am definitely happy I found them.Syndee C.
Had a deep cleaning here and it was pain-free and fast. Very relaxing environment including massaging chairs and Netflix on your own personal tv while you get work done. State of the art equipment and friendly staff.Mina M.
Periodontal Therapy What to Expect
Treatment for periodontal disease will depend on the stage and severity of the patient’s gum disease. Dr.Sareen offers a range of periodontal therapies to address the cause and damage caused by the spread of bacteria. Dr. Sareen will make a personalized recommendation to maintain gum health long term.
Treatment can include:
- Antibacterial rinses: often prescribed for at home use, antibacterial rinses help to keep oral bacteria in check. Antibacterial rinses are a conservative measure for gingivitis and patients with the early signs of gum disease.
- Scaling and root planing: Scaling and root planing is a deep cleaning method that helps to remove bacteria build up from deep pockets in the gums.
- Laser dentistry: Laser dentistry is an innovative technique that often eliminates the need for invasive oral surgery. Dr. Sareen uses a precise dental laser to remove damaged or diseased tissue. Lasers promote the body’s natural healing response allowing gums to regenerate healthy tissue.
- Oral surgery: In advanced cases, some patients may require gum surgery, bone grafting or other oral surgeries to restore their oral health fully. Dr. Sareen will discuss a patient’s surgical options with them on a personalized basis.
Preventative Care for Gum Health
Fairfax area dentist Dr. Deepti Sareen emphasizes the importance of gum health. Regular six-month checkups and professional teeth cleanings are the best preventative measure you can take to protect your health from gum disease-causing bacteria. Dr. Sareen visually screens all patients for signs of gum disease during routine dental health exams. Early diagnosis can allow patients prevent further deterioration of their oral health. To keep your gums healthy in between visits the ADA and Dr. Sareen recommends brushing your teeth at least twice a day for two minutes and flossing once a day. For patients prone to gum disease, Dr. Sareen will make personalized recommendations on appropriate hygiene products and techniques to help control the spread of oral bacteria.